Software Engineer III
Small, autonomous teams. Decentralized decision-making. Scala. NoSQL. Team ownership of end-to-end quality. Support for open source technologies. A friction-free production environment. Distributed systems. Continuous delivery. Simplicity. Automation. These are some of the key ingredients of HBC’s robust technology culture. If this all sounds good to you, then keep reading!
We’re very passionate about preserving our culture of trust and autonomy. Anyone on our team can publish to our Tech Blog, give a presentation, develop an open source project, attend or speak at a conference, spend funds in the team budget, organize a meetup, or invite someone interesting over to our office for coffee and a chat. We embrace our creativity and are open to embracing yours.
During the interview process we hope to learn something from you. What’s your potential? What can you bring that no one else can? What open source projects can you share with us?
- Innovative with a mindset that generates a variety of approaches to problem solving including new and novel ideas.
- Building teams by bringing others together when needed. Creates a sense of community when leading a team and empowers others to own their work.
- Lead through results. Often going above and beyond your goals. Drives positive outcomes through objectives and measures.
- Innovative with a mindset that generates a variety of approaches to problem solving including new and novel ideas. Consistently looking for opportunities to improve the way things are done.
- Fluency in a functional, imperative or object-oriented language, especially Scala or Java
- Source code management skills (Git)
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Fluency in discussing web standards (HTTP, JSON) and RESTful APIs
- Experience using Linux/Unix, CentOS, Ubuntu, and Mac OS
- Familiarity with deployment and continuous integration technologies, and container technologies such as Docker.
- You are passionate about building a micro-services architecture.
- Write concise, clear, flexible code--but you’ll do much more than that.
- Demonstrate and communicate technical best practices and influence others to do the same.
- Use the Typesafe platform (Scala/Play Framework/Akka), AWS, Docker, Jenkins, MongoDB, Lucene/Solr, and other great technologies to develop high-quality software.
- Identify new ways to innovate without adding processes or management overhead.
- Take risks and challenge yourself in new ways–from developing your own open-source projects to submitting proposals to prestigious tech conferences.
- Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner- operator!
- Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate.
- A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
- Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental).
- An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look
forward to reviewing your application.
provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC
complies with applicable state and local laws governing non discrimination in
employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy
applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting,
hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence,compensation and training.
welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected
to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are
available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.