Engineering Manager – Web Platform
Who We Are:
Saks is a world-renowned luxury e-commerce destination. The company’s unique approach combines a focus on the digital customer experience with a strong connection to a network of extraordinary stores that extends that seamless experience into the real world.
On its website and app, Saks offers an unparalleled selection of curated merchandise across fashion for women and men, beauty, jewelry, home décor, and more. In addition to the shopping experience, customers come to Saks for inspiring editorial content, access to digital stylists, lifestyle experiences, and other world-class services. The company is currently in the midst of a dramatic expansion, driven by significant enhancements to its platforms and offerings, with the goal of becoming the preeminent destination for luxury internationally.
As an Engineering Manager, Web Platform team for the Customer Experience organization, you will be responsible for supporting roughly 5-15 engineers and their attendant work, driven from capital investment. You will help de-risk work in flight, make staffing and hiring decisions within the org, and grow team members by a combination of mentorship, coaching, and stretch roles. For this position, I am also open to a tech lead looking to flex into management, sharing their experience and growing tech leads along the way.
Our tech teams have recently re-platformed all our e-commerce sites to Salesforce Commerce Cloud, cutting loose the baggage of 15+ years of legacy monolith. New projects reach the latest heights of e-commerce – personalized experiences, marketplace offerings, loyalty programs, innovations in security, payment, and fulfillment, as well as general investment in technical excellence.
However, we are still young on this platform and are experimenting with (and open to) fresh ideas about how to work and grow together (think CI, release management, etc.). Infrastructurally, we are well along our journey to the cloud, with heavy investment in AWS and Azure. To this role, you will bring organization, flexibility, focus, and strategic thinking as we work together to deliver new improvements to our portfolio at a healthy clip, balancing the cutting loose old cruft and delivering delightful new experiences to our customers.
An Engineering Manager on the Web Platform at Saks is accountable for 2-4 projects, supports 5-15 engineers in their org with regular 1:1’s, and works to identify and support the growth of needed capabilities for successful delivery – be they app development, data integration, test automation, etc. The Manager’s primary goal is to sustain team members and facilitate their work while feeding a culture that emphasizes customer experience, quality engineering, and innovation. Reports to the Director of Web Platform and, by extension, the VP of Engineering, Customer Experience.
- Drives the definition and delivery of new core e-commerce services to support customer interactions on web, mobile, and third-party partners realization
- Using modern software designs and technologies owns the improvement and evolution of existing core systems for better scalability, availability, and productivity
- Works with technical and product leaders of other organizations (logistics, customer service, analytics, etc.) to determine requirements for and integrate with other systems with respect to the consumer experience
- Is a strong leader for the product development organization, participating in and guiding multiple teams at the same time while growing future tech leaders
- Presents clear, business-oriented (but technically detailed) briefs as needed to the executive team in order to promote transparency and understanding of complex technical topics across the company.
- 6+ years of experience in software development, with a focus on systems architecture, interoperability, and data integrity
- 2+ years leading teams of engineers
- Relevant experience in optimizing data flows between multiple systems, architecting data integrity, single source of truth, and providing the right digital solution for internal stakeholders
- Deep technical and architectural experience with current ability to write significant code, build systems from scratch, and maintain or re-architect legacy in-house built systems
- Deep understanding and experience with many of the following technologies:
- AWS products and architecture
- Automated testing frameworks and TDD
- Sentry / Rollbar / Firebase
- CI / CD pipelines
- Jenkins / GoCD / CircleCI
- Docker / Kubernetes
- NewRelic / DataDog
- Consummate collaborator that seeks to find optimal trade-offs, and provide confidence in myriad stakeholders to whom your team will provide solutions
- Data-driven, analytical, strong communicator, who understands and relishes in the big picture, but understands the importance of every detail
- An exceptional leader with an ownership mentality
- Steeped in understanding and practice of agile software development
- Natural problem solver who understands how to start from the why, and uses first principles to get to a meaningful what and how
Who You Are:
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who can:
- Design and develop world-class software applications to bring industry-leading luxury shopping experiences to market
- Ensure software architecture aligns with user needs to bring high-value products to market
- Enable predictable and iterative software delivery by providing leadership in an Agile team environment
- Bring expertise in investigation and resolution of technical problems within the organization
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and evaluate the applicability of new software technologies for ensuring the best possible consumer experience
- Drive innovation at a software product level and contribute ideas to the product roadmap
- Mentor junior managers and emerging leaders
- Build a culture of pride and ownership over code quality, scalable architecture, security, and data privacy
Your Life and Career at Saks:
- Be a part of an entrepreneurial team hyper-focused on massive growth
- Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision, and dental)
- An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest in Saks. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Saks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Saks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Saks welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.