Associate Vice President, Taxation
Who We Are:
Saks is a world-renowned luxury ecommerce destination. The company’s unique approach combines a focus on the digital customer experience with a strong connection to a network of extraordinary stores that extends that seamless experience into the real world.
On its website and app, Saks offers an unparalleled selection of curated merchandise across fashion for women and men, beauty, jewelry, home décor and more. In addition to the shopping experience, customers come to Saks for inspiring editorial content, access to digital stylists, lifestyle experiences and other world-class services. The company is currently in the midst of a dramatic expansion, driven by significant enhancements to its platforms and offerings, with the goal of becoming the preeminent destination for luxury internationally.
As the AVP Taxation, you will be responsible for all tax matters at Saks (or the “Company”) and will support the Company’s overall long-term business plans, business initiatives and day-to-day business operations from the tax perspective as well as developing a capable and efficient Tax Department. You will develop and implement strategies and execute those tactical efforts necessary to optimize after tax cash flows, or mitigate tax exposures.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s or MBA a plus) and preferably have an accounting designation (CPA) and an advanced tax education
- Minimum of 10 years of corporate income tax/direct income tax experience, preferably with a large accounting firm or corporate environment and experience in leading a diverse tax team to optimize tax matters in order to maximize shareholder value
- Extensive U.S. Federal and State Income and transaction tax knowledge and experiences in dealing with business transactions and strategic initiatives.
- Extensive experience in identifying, analyzing and communicating complex tax issues and their impact on the Company and its operations to key stakeholders, and executive leaders.
- Self-motivated to drive various functional teams inside and outside the organization to meet deadlines, deliver results and maximize value.
- Proficient with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Oracle Fusion and US tax reporting/compliance applications. Experience with Workday a plus.
- Strong communication, analytical and organizational skills
- Establish a robust tax team to support business operations and strategic initiatives.
- Work with various functional teams to identify and assess tax opportunities and proactively address tax exposures through the design of processes and procedures.
- Work with the HBC Holdco tax team to implement strategic tax planning and corporate structuring arrangement opportunities.
- Direct the management of federal and state income and sales tax research and compliance as well as audit issue defense.
- Coordinate with tax compliance to ensure that all income and transaction tax return elections, disclosures, and accounting and reporting methods are accurately prepared, timely filed, and well documented.
- Identify and execute on opportunities for process improvements and transformation efforts within the tax organization.
- Prepare the quarterly and annual income tax provision calculations under ASC740, valuation allowance, return to provision adjustment and tax footnote disclosure as required when Saks becomes a taxable entity.
- Respond to requests from the internal audit team for internal control testing
- Ad hoc projects as required
Your Life and Career at Saks:
- Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate.
- A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
- Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental).
- An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest with Saks. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Saks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Saks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Saks welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.