Lead Analytics Engineer
Saks is a world-renowned luxury ecommerce destination. The company’s unique approach combines a focus on the digital customer experience with a strong connection to a network of extraordinary stores that extends that seamless experience into the real world. On its website and app, Saks offers an unparalleled selection of curated merchandise across fashion for women and men, beauty, jewelry, home décor and more. In addition to the shopping experience, customers come to Saks for inspiring editorial content, access to digital stylists, lifestyle experiences and other world-class services. The company is currently in the midst of a dramatic expansion, driven by significant enhancements to its platforms and offerings, with the goal of becoming the preeminent destination for luxury internationally.
Saks is where high fashion meets high tech. We used data to make business decisions before “data-driven” was a buzzword. We are now on our way to unleash the full power of data and become insights-driven. Saks data team is in the process of migrating from a legacy set of tools and methodologies to the Modern Data Platform built utilizing tech stack that includes Snowflake, Airflow, dbt, Kubernetes, Looker to name a few. As a Lead Analytics Engineer you will focus on understanding the questions our users are trying to answer and what outcomes they are trying to achieve. You will help deliver data solutions that address not only those questions but also additional needs.
Who you are
- Curious - You keep up with the industry trends and best practices and understand the when, why, and how to use them.
- Not afraid - to deal with vagueness or challenges presented to you
- Adventurous - You sometimes think outside the box. You learn from others but are not afraid to try something different.
- Passionate - about telling stories with data and teaching others to do it well
What you will do
- Create semantics and physical data models based on business needs that are agile, scalable and easy to understand
- Write performant transformations
- Help introduction and adoption of dbt
- Assist with the data migration and decommission of legacy systems.
- Help define best practices for data modeling, SQL query structure and optimization, dataops (e.g., version control, testing, CI/CD), and data compliance
- Reconcile data issues and alerts between various systems, finding opportunities to drive improvements and automation
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Mentor, and lead teams towards meeting business objectives
You also have
- We value diversity of backgrounds and thoughts so don’t be afraid to bring your non-traditional degrees and experiences.
- 5 + years experience as a data architect, data engineer, BI engineer or a similar role
- SQL power user (Can write advanced SQL, interpret and optimize queries written by others)
- Expert in at least one data warehouse modeling technique (e.g., Dimensional, bonus points for Data Vault)
- Experience with data engineering tools for constructing and automating data pipelines and a clear understanding of the capabilities and limitations of various approaches/platforms preferably Snowflake, Airflow, dbt, Looker
- Ability to drive business value through effective communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to ensure data capabilities
- Experience with many of the following:
- SQL / Python
- CI / CD pipelines
- Jenkins / GoCD / CircleCI
- dbt / Informatica / Talend / Matilion
- Snowflake / Google Big Query / Redshift
- Looker / Tableau / Microstrategy / Power BI
Thank you for your interest in Saks. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Saks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Saks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Saks welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.