Assistant, Product Development & Design
Who We Are:
Saks is a world-renowned luxury ecommerce destination. The company’s unique approach combines a focus on the digital customer experience with a strong connection to a network of extraordinary stores that extends that seamless experience into the real world.
On its website and app, Saks offers an unparalleled selection of curated merchandise across fashion for women and men, beauty, jewelry, home décor and more. In addition to the shopping experience, customers come to Saks for inspiring editorial content, access to digital stylists, lifestyle experiences and other world-class services. The company is currently in the midst of a dramatic expansion, driven by significant enhancements to its platforms and offerings, with the goal of becoming the preeminent destination for luxury internationally.
Product Development Associates work with our Italian office agents along with our domestic vendor partners to manage and oversee the total production process from concept to design, sourcing, creating and costing of our Private Label brands. Product Development associates must possess a strong balance of knowing industry trends and be business analytically inclined to understand our customer's shopping habits and adapt to his/her changing needs.
The Assistant, Product Development & Design is responsible for assisting in the development of the Private Label brands, and interpreting the brand direction into materials, trims, styles, colors and patterns. The PD & D Assistant will learn the line development process through working with the Product Development/Design Team
As The Assistant PD&D, You Will:
Support the Product team in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives.
Fundamental requirements include the ability to:
- Collaborate, and achieve results.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The PD&D Assistant will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented business partner who possesses professional maturity and ability to build strong partnerships. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective supporting the team through significant complexity.
- Candidates must be comfortable with adapting to new processes and new strategies
- The ideal candidate will be known for attention to detail and efficiency for speed.
- Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training
- Take responsibility for own development plan and curriculum
- Accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership
- Self-motivated and demonstrates initiatives
- Relishes in a fast paced environment and is effective under pressure
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment.
Job Duties Include:
- Participate in strategic meetings.
- Assist in identifying the key programs that comprise each classification.
- Competitive shopping to gain awareness of trends in market
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility.
- Assist in creating and distributing fabric development packages.
- Assist in creating and distributing color cards, trim cards and pattern development sheets.
- Occasionally CAD develops print and pattern designs. (A plus!)
- Assist in the design of exclusive products and development of trends that support merchant objectives and PL brand.
- Prepare line and presentation materials/set-up for line previews and buy meetings.
- Assist in identifying specific materials, color palettes, patterns and prints for the season.
- Participate in research and development of seasonal trends. Assist in shopping the retail and trend (fabric/color/fashion) markets seeking new merchandise ideas, as needed.
- Assist in reviewing development samples.
- Assist in the tracking and approval of fabric samples, lab dips, strike-offs and other development materials.
- Assist at fit sessions with Technical Design and Design Teams.
- Responsible for creating line lists in NuOrder.
- Responsible for on-going order maintenance and reacting to necessary changes promptly
- Input costing based upon product offerings.
- Work closely with Customs department to ensure that proper duty is applied to an item and cost models
- Assist Product Manager with interaction with Quality Control to ensure that all products meet quality and safety regulations
- Coordinate with Logistics / Customs to resolve shipping issues
- Maintain order placements with Buying Team
- Sample tracking & order tracking for digital and marketing needs.
- Participate in meetings with the vendors / manufacturers when appropriate
- Assist in the development of style plans based on program plans and unit projections
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring line development activities.
- Develop monthly shipping reports, tracking items from ship window through to DC till receipt date, releasing report to senior management
- Recap and present Best Seller information to senior management on monthly basis
- Assist in the development process: Italy travel preparation and sending out the packages to Italy office, Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Assist in working with Marketing to identify new packaging, brand/labels, and hangtag needs
- Track ad samples for saks.com for photo shoots and any fashion shoots from date of request through date received
- Communicate with the Italy office for day to day business activities and share business projections for the line, obtain appropriate samples, swatches, etc.
- Assist Product Manager in communicating to vendors the private brand/label merchandise, business strategy, and unit projections
- Report program and style placements and distribute final commitment summary to vendor partners and Buying Team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Product Development, Fashion Merchandising/and or Design.
- Experience in retail, stores, or internships.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Presentation and organization skills
- Strong analytical skills, retail math skills and attention to detail.
- Detail oriented and strategic thinker.
- Ability to be self-motivated; to adapt to fast-paced environment; and to motivate others.
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- Proficiency in PC operation, MS office and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, PLM, OMS, NuOrder (a plus!)
- Strong color sense / print sense.
- Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum
- Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance.
- Engages the team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
- Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and are able to gain support and commitment from others.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs. This job description is not all inclusive.
- Travel domestic
Your Life And Career At Saks:
- Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate.
- A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
- Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental).
- An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest with Saks. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Saks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Saks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Saks welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.