AVP, Internal Audit
What This Position Is All About
Reporting to the Board of Directors’ Audit Committee and administratively to the CFO, the AVP, Internal Audit will be a critical member of Sak’s Corporate Finance Leadership Team, and will work collaboratively with the CFO, Audit Committee and other executives to drive the success of the organization and to enable the company to deliver upon its strategic objectives.
The core thrust of this role will be to define and continuously improve risk management through best practices in accounting and audit, thus providing the financial controls, information and transparency that will enable the company to make effective business decisions in a fast-paced, competitive environment.
The AVP, Internal Audit is responsible for internal audit, CEO/CFO Certification Program and the Enterprise Risk Management Program.
A critical priority for the AVP Internal Audit will be to manage the ongoing demands of CEO/CFO certification and develop implementation plans to become SOX compliant, if a decision is made to proceed and lead the SOX implementation.
The AVP, Internal Audit is responsible for leading a function of internal audit professionals that leverages industry best practices and adds value by developing consultative partnerships with operational leaders throughout the organization to monitor and improve internal controls, processes, and also drive operating efficiencies.
- Manage the execution of internal audit activity with the objective of driving improvement in risk management and control in the organization. This includes developing a risk based internal audit plan that appropriately covers operational, financial and compliance risks faced by Saks
- Manage the CEO/CFO Certification Program including risk assessment and scoping, process and control documentation, testing, and remediation with the objective of ensuring ongoing compliance in an efficient and effective manner.
- Manage the Enterprise Risk Management Program with the objective of driving improvement in risk management integration in strategy setting process and driving performance.
- Integrating and leveraging on internal audit, CEO/CFO Certification and ERM Program activities as applicable to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Regularly reporting and communicating with the Audit Committee and the CFO
- Coordinating the agenda, schedule, and delivery of materials for Audit Committee meetings with the Chair of the Audit Committee and management.
- A recognized leader, able to quickly win the confidence and establish strong working relationships at all levels up to and including the Executive Staff and the Board of Directors.
- Continuously develop and motivate a high-performance team.
- As required, overseeing confidential control reviews, special investigations, and other ad-hoc projects including coordination of any investigations performed by external agencies.
- As appropriate, work with the external auditors to facilitate their year- end audit.
- Understanding of the various risk management and governance processes, business performance metrics, and operational initiatives.
- Proactively providing risk/controls consulting in situations where new systems/processes are being implemented and which involve significant risks.
- Coordinating audit plans with the external auditor.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline together with a CPA or equivalent accounting certification. Additional internal audit, risk management and control related certifications or designations are an asset.
- At least 8 -12 years of progressive experience within internal audit, accounting, and related fields within both operational and corporate finance functions, with a strong track record of significant accomplishments in driving improvements to the management of risk.
- Demonstrated experience in all of the following areas of the Internal Audit function:
- Operational, financial and compliance internal audits across all key business functions
- CEO/CFO certification ( U.S. SOX)
- Risk / Controls consulting
- Excellent business acumen, communications, influencing and analytical skills and ability to interact effectively at all levels of management and with the Board of Directors.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, with a track record of using these effectively to deliver significant results.
- Experience in technology and /or consumer internet or related industries are preferred.
- Able to successfully complete background review
- Has strong experience leading cross-functional teams and are comfortable managing teams remotely.
- Sufficient experience and knowledge of information technology and a track record of applying this expertise to ensure that technology aspects of risk management are fully addressed as part of internal audit projects.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment.